1001 things to do with LiveCode - only 400 page views per day

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 23:20:59 EST 2013

Mark Weider wrote
>> That may be a different definition of "extension" in that case. If
>> it's in xtalk then you don't need an extension, unless I'm completely
>> misunderstanding what you've got in mind.

I only use Windows and Linux at the moment. Trying to get my mind around
Xtalk might just drive me over the edge!

Monte Goulding wrote
> Yeah... I think you just want a library??? Or do you want to actually link
> to C/Java SDKs/libraries??

Yes, I'm actually thinking about accessing Java SDk and/or C libraries. For
instance, I use R (a statistical programming language) a fair bit. There are
a number of GUIs for it but none that are straightforward for student users
(my main base). It would be incredibly easy to develop a GUI using Livecode.
I could then access R functionality using shell or process (I think) calls.
But, my fantasy (imagining I can actually understand how to write calls to
dll's) would be to access the R engine directly. In my other fantasy (you
can see that I don't have much else to fantasise about) I could write an
easy interface to the most powerful open source statistical engine in the
Universe so that students are not dependent on having to buy in to SPSS or
some other proprietary stats program.

I have other crazy thoughts like this to do with other libraries (python has
some excellent mathematics and statistical libraries) but I really don't
have the level of code knowledge to write the glue to the external
libraries.

cheers

Alistair