1001 things to do with LiveCode - only 400 page views per day

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 23:30:48 EST 2013

Gerry Orkin wrote
> I found lots of trivia apps on Android and iOS - everything from simple
> stand-alone play to complex online systems that allow for play against
> friends and strangers. Seems a crowded market already so you are wise to
> look for a unique twist.

Hi Gerry, I had a look (only at android) and thought the same thing. It's
quite crowded. But the ones I tried were disappointing in a range of ways.
Some of this was content related. But, mainly it was the idea of the game
play. They seem to have focused on an app that an individual can play by
themselves and then compete/compare to the amorphous community "out there".
Like most things eCommunity I found it a pointless exercise.

My interest was in an app which would support the social game of Trivial
Pursuit. Just a way of delivering categorised questions like the box of
cards. I can see how that idea could be developed into a generic app but my
main purpose would be as a tool to support the social activity of trivia
games.

> That aside, I'd start with content. Can you compile many thousands of
> legally useable questions and answers?

Agreed, that is a good question. I do have access to a fair number of
useable questions. If it was going to go anywhere, though, I would put the
effort into developing my own. I have a backgraound in psychometrics so I
can do some basic metrics on questions to evaluate difficulty and useability
that could provide the twist that is important in a good trivia session.

I hadn't thought about it as a pub trivia app- but I should put some thought
into it. Hopefully we can catch up at some stage. Australia's not that big

cheers

Alistair