livecode on xubuntu 13.10

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 14:42:48 EST 2013

On 22/12/13 20:07, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Martin-
>
> Sunday, December 22, 2013, 9:42:24 AM, you wrote:
>
>> This weekend I've been trying to get Livecode 6.1  running on xubuntu
>> 13.10 64bit
>> After installng 32 bit compatibility stuff and manually copying 32bit
>> dependency libraries from another ubuntu machine as I couldn't
>> immediately figure out how else to install them, I did succeed in
>> getting it to run.
> Stuff like this is why I left Xubuntu for the happier climes of linux
> mint. Did you install the ia32 or ia32arch libraries? What dependency
> libraries did you have to copy? If you're not building the engine from
> source I don't know what else would be required, although it's been a
> while since I did this and may not be remembering properly.

And I stayed with the happier climes of UbuntuStudio; the good folk who made
this flavoured Ubuntu stayed with XFCE (sensibly as far as I am concerned).

As Livecode is 32 bit I wonder why anybody would setup a production machine
they intend to use with Livecode with a 64 bit variant of Linux ????

Running 32 bit stuff on 64 bit Linux is, inevitably, going to be a fudge.

My experience of this (having flirted with 64 bit Linux before slipping
back to 32 bit)
is that running 32 bit Linux software on 64 bit Linux is actually more
problematic than running Windows
software using WINE on Linux.

Richmond.