an ignored breakpoint

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 23:45:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> One thing I like a lot about the red dots is that you can remove all of
> them from all scripts with a single menu item selection "Clear all
> breakpoints". Very handy.

If I want to test my scripts without ANY breakpoints I simply turn Off
Script Debug Mode.

One thing I like a lot about breakpoints is I can quickly and easily turn
On and Off all/selected breakpoints in all/selected scripts using Find and
Replace.  Find 'breakpoint' Replace with '--breakpoint' and vice versa. I
don't even have to type it, because I've done it before those strings
appear in the option buttons in the Find and Replace window.

It then also makes it very easy to reinstate some/all breakpoints.

Again, I liked the old Trace, and some of what I do is because I can't
Trace any more, so with a bit of trial and error I'll find the right place
to put a breakpoint, attempt to figure out what's wrong, and when I think
I've got it right I'll just comment it out. Days/weeks.months/years later
when under unforeseen circumstances I hit basically the same error I know
exactly where to put the breakpoint because it's sitting there waiting to
be uncommented.

I like that during development I can leave place holders at important
locations in my script and long after I've forgotten why they are important
I can come back, uncomment them, then step through my code to each
important location at which point the reason for the current problem I'm
trying to troubleshoot usually becomes immediately apparent - unfortunately
the code required to correct the deficit normally takes a whole lot longer
to nut out and incorporate ;-)