[OT] EULA and legality

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Sep 7 16:27:28 EDT 2012

Frankly, I ignore these kinds of considerations in an EULA. Send the software police after me. If I buy a PC that has XP on it, and later decide to switch to a VM because the old PC died, I do not have a problem importing that OS into a VM and using it. I am only using the thing I purchased on one device. Sure that violates the EULA, but believe me, I paid for the OS even though it was bundled, because the vendor paid Microsoft, and I am dead sure they did not absorb the cost, but rather passed the cost on to consumers, aka me.

If MS is now going to say to me that I can no longer use a part of what I was sold because the whole, quite out of their control, failed, then I have to cry foul. It would be like a car manufacturer telling me I could not use the seats from one Impala in another just like it, because the old car was junked.

I suspect the real reason no one is ever prosecuted for this sort of thing is because MS knows it would have a hard time flying in a court of law. But this is all my own opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Bob