Protecting stacks

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Fri Nov 2 20:40:56 EDT 2012

Thanks Mark. I will mull over this...

On Nov 02, 2012, at 05:19 PM, Mark Schonewille <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:

Hi Peter,

You can protect stacks with a password, as Ralph suggested.

Basically you can't prevent anyone from opening your stack in the IDE and copying all the text, if your stack isn't part of a standalone, and even if it is part of a standalone it isn't too difficult to detach the stack and save it as a stackfile again.

There are also ways to open an additional stack in a standalone and run a script in that stack to copy all the text and image objects from your stack, even if it is password protected. Such a script could also save stacks and substacks as separate files. Only the scripts are effectively protected.

A solution might be to save all your stackfiles as encrypted files. A script in your standalone would read the files, decrypt them and open them in a new window, similar to

put url "binfile:path/to/file.bin" into myStack
decrypt myStack using "blowfish" with myKey
go myStack in new window

The encypted files can be opened in a text editor, but will be useless. Because the key in your script is protected by the password of your mainstack, this approach is relatively save. Still, a hacker will always find a way to get the data out of your stack.

I just read Stephen's e-mail, while writing the above. I think his idea is relatively insecure, because you can still open the stack in the IDE and run the decryption routines, although you could add a line to the script, which exits if the stack has been opened in the IDE:

if the environment contains "dev" then exit to top

Perhaps the safest way would be using pictures instead of text. Btw make sure to set the lockText of your fields to true (but you know that, I'm sure).

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour spaces. http://www.color-converter.com

We have time for new software development projects. Contact me for a quote.