[OT] Mac App Store (was Gatekeeper)

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu May 10 13:14:07 EDT 2012

My strategy for all this is going to be to just get my app signed
initially.  That will take care of the Gatekeeper issue.

As for the Apple Store, it seems the issues are:

The license agreement.
It seems that the Apple Store requires you to use the .pkg method of
installing and if I remember correctly, that installation process can
include displaying a license agreement so I think that explains why they
don't want your app displaying one.

The MAS receipt.
I looked at the MAS data structure and doesn't seem like it would be too
difficult to parse it out in LC but the checking side of it is another
question.  You have to get hold of the GUID and I don't think LC provides a
way to do that.  Haven't tracked down the external to do it and I'm betting
against RunRev providing any built in method of MAS validation.

More important than that though is Andrew's comment about users being able
to download as many copies as they want from the Apple Store after paying
for a single license.  If that really is the case, MAS does no more to
protect against piracy than the licensing scheme I already have in place
and seems to make validating the MAS a moot point.  Or is that just a case
of MAS hysteria :-)

Sandboxing
I've only taken a cursory glance at this but it doesn't seem to bad on the
face of it.

The biggest problem I see is that you can no longer write to the users Home
directory.  Instead your app runs within a "container" that seems to
emulate the Home directory and any of its sub-directories.  Not sure if the
data still ends up in the Home directory or not.

The obvious question for us LC'ers is what will specialFolderPath("Home")
return on Mountain Lion?  Or perhaps there will be a
specialFolderPath("Container")?  Would be great to get an answer from
RunRev on that.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>