LC Benchmark app/stack

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Mar 30 13:48:05 EDT 2012

On 3/30/12 5:27 AM, Richard MacLemale wrote:
> I've developed primarily for the iOS so far, and am sort of thinking
> about the Android market.  I know there are a billion screen sizes to
> deal with, but what about processor speeds?

It's all over the map, and any benchmark list would be obsolete pretty
quickly as new devices appear. My first android device (1 year old,
Android 2.2) loads my app in about four seconds. My new device (Android
3.2) loads it in a fraction of one second. Even faster CPUs are coming
out this year.

I think what I'd do is load a variable with the milliseconds on startup,
and then after the first card appears, look at the time difference.
Based on that you could make some decisions about what code to run.
There won't be any way for you to test all devices though. Wikipedia has
some comparison info, though it doesn't list actual speeds:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Android_devices>

Many Android users are running older devices with OS versions that are
quite old. Phone users are often locked into 2-year contracts which
means they're stuck while the rest of the world moves on.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com