LiveCode Player for 5.5

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Wed Mar 28 20:21:53 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Pete wrote:

> I guess my original point, perhaps not well enough explained, was that,
> according to the study in my local paper here in California, using iPads to
> replace text books costs about 4 times more than using the hard copy text
> books.  Personally, I can't find any justification for California schools
> spending that extra money when there's hardly any evidence that using iPads
> improves the quality of eduction at all, never mind 4-fold.
>
> Pete

My first thought on the matter of TECHstBOOKS (haha, I just made that up)
in class is, "Why must it be an iPad when there are already other
affordable, and capable "reading" devices?".  There are $150 to $200
capacitive multi-touch Android tablets which aren't limited to just running
the OS ROM that shipped with it.  With a portion of the education budget,
the wonderful developers who create CyanogenMod ROMs (for free) for every
popular tablet known to man could create an education-centric ROM with
proper security in place.  This would turn it back into an educational tool
without the distraction of games on the app store.  I know alot of people
just want iPads to be used everywhere because they are so cool.  I'd rather
see them use moderately priced equipment that still offers an effective
learning environment.  I think the best thing about digital textbooks is
how little they weigh.  This could kill the book-bag industry!  ;-)

~Roger