LiveCode Player for 5.5

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:29:59 EDT 2012

On 03/27/2012 09:11 PM, Judy Perry wrote:
> Certainly, it's easy enough to blame poor online learning experiences
> on lazy or inept instructional designers who all too often are taught
> to use truly crappy tools, but it doesn't excuse the crappy tools
> themselves.
>
> And why do teachers and instructional designers use crappy tools?
> Because it's all they know; it's all their colleagues know, it's the
> only thing they see at educational conferences that is even remotely
> comprehensible, which means that most of them have never heard of LC
> and never will.  And, even if they did, imagine that poor hapless soul
> whose degree, after all, is in teaching or instructional design and
> not CS, on this 10+ year bumpy road EE ticket for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
> of LC in education!  "We're a'going this away... WAIT A MINUTE!! NO
> WE'RE NOT!!"
>
> Rev can't do anything about teachers who are not allowed to download
> and install software (I couldn't even get a state university satellite
> campus to install GIMP for heaven's sake!) but there other things it
> could do to make LC a better product for designing online or
> computer-based instruction.
>
> *It could show itself at actual teaching/educational conferences.
> HyperStudio knows that and does it and teachers have heard of it.
>
> *It could improve the out-of-box experience for new users (haven't we
> been asking that for nearly a decade?).
>
> *It could structure its instructional content into graded paths that
> are intuitive to use for differing types of users instead of just
> dumping them in the middle of a bazillions lessons on how to do things
> using keywords that new users aren't likely to know.
>
> *It could pick a path and just gradually STICK WITH IT.  It's this
> constant serving about on the educational development road that make
> the product look so very iffy... (MEDIA!  Players!  Web Plugin!
> HTML5? yeah baby!  until we drop it!)
>
> And, yupp, iPads are the shiny new toys... that will suck budgetary
> funds out of nurses and teacher's aids and lunches for nothing
> (remember when having laptops in the classroom was the new shiny toy
> that accomplished what exactly??? and before that having a desktop
> computer in the classroom?).
>
> Oh, and I'm not kidding about the lunches thing.  On cold or rainy
> days I have the kids eat a school lunch, only for them to tell me that
> they ate a banana, a cookie and a piece of fake cheese because the
> school ran out of the hot meals they were supposed to be serving.
> Yes, RAN OUT.

Ach, Judy; Thee and Me have been saying all the above to RunRev for a
longish time; and they have never managed to present a consistent
educational front . . .

. . .  what they probably need (but would be loath to admit) is an
educationalist to run their educational side (well, if they had one), run
around schools demoing the thing, co-opting teachers, and so on.

This June I should like to give some of my kids a "quick-n-dirty" 3 day
course with RR/Livecode. I honestly cannot see much point as there
is no RevMedia and/or cut-down free version for those kids to take away
at the end of things.