ANN and OT: Calling All SETI Enthusiasts

Roger Guay irog at mac.com
Mon Mar 26 13:47:56 EDT 2012

Tom,

Please forgive me (especially Tim)  for apparently sounding argumentative. Not my intent at all. I was merely trying to say that given the vastness of our universe and the number of stars contained in it, many argue that it is logical to assume a multitude of intelligent species populating our entire galaxy. And given the vast time scale involved, it is also logical to assume these alien civilizations will not have evolved simultaneously (criterion #1)

The second criterion is that the radio active stages of technology of these civilizations will be short relative to these same vast time scales. I'm sure that I am not the first to define this criterion, but I have not seen it discussed before. The validity of this is discussed very briefly in the simulation notes. Further to this point, I would argue that ALL technologies have limited durations, and the simulation allows you to adjust it over a very long range (albeit short relative to the vast time scales of our galaxy) to your heart's content. I would be happy to discuss this at length, but it might be best to do so off-list??

My simulation starts with these assumptions and explores the outcome. These criteria are simply derived from the statistics of the numbers involved. There are many more qualified than I to explain the statistics involved, and a few references are included in the notes of the simulation. For those interested I would would start with the SETI project itself at.

									http://www.seti.org/

And, the Drake equation says it all . . . statically:

						http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/seti/drake_equation.html

Thanks and cheers,
Roger Guay