Displaying PDF files in an LC stack

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Mon Mar 26 12:52:30 EDT 2012

Thanks Francis - and all the others who have suggested ways to deal with
this.

I think I will have to go with launching the pdf documents as a separate
process.  Seems like that is the only way to get a cross platform solution
that will deal with the display of bookmarks without having to spend time
writing Livecode scripts.

Maybe someone will write an LC plugin to deal with pdf files one day.
 Judging by the response to my initilial question, seems like there would
be enough interest to make it worthwhile.

Pete

PS I'm still looking at ScreenSteps.  They confirm that bookmarks are
included in pdf files created from ScreenSteps so I could get the best of
both worlds.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Francis Nugent Dixon <effendi at wanadoo.fr>wrote:

> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> For Pete, Michael, Colin ..... et alia !
>
> I think we have been down this road before !
>
> This is not a completely internal display of
> pdf files within a LiveCode stack, but it's the
> closest I could get, and it solves all my needs.
>
> I have a library of pdf files. I have a LiveCode
> stack containing a card for each of the files
> I may want to display. On each card, I have
>
> 1 - The pdf file name within my library,
> 2 - A display scale value for the pdf file,
> 3 - a field containing a list of page numbers
>     that may interest me, within the pdf file.
>
> I select the scale, select a page number and
> "open" the pdf file, at a specific page, in an
> external window, by building an applescript file
> to call the Skim app with the required parameters.
>
> Warning : Skim is for Macs only ... Life is so hard !
>
> NOTE : I have not exploited the potential of all
> possible parameters which can be passed to Skim.
>
> I also found out that if my pdf file originated as a text
> file (first-hand), then I could eventually dig out the text,
> (which means that pdf display COULD be pure LiveCode)
> but if the pdf file was built (for example) by conversion
> from a jpg file, then I could NEVER recover the text.
> (that seems pretty reasonable, does it not ?)
>
> Catch me off-forum, and I can send you an
> example stack.
>
> Best Regards
>
> -Francis
>
> "Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"

Pete