[OT] A couple of links about Gnome and usability

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 13:38:52 EDT 2012

As a Mac-o-philiac I have spent some time playing around with PearOS,
and can honestly say "it sucks";

it being neither one thing nor the other.

Also, for Mac types; the initial set up does NOT have desktop icons,
and it is a right cough-cough-cough finding one's Home folder and so on.

The eye-candy is Mac-like; the functionality is not. And by fudging
around with GNOME 3 to produce a supposedly Mac-like interface
they have just obscured some of the useful features of GNOME 3.

This reminds me of attempts in the past to build Linux distros with
interfaces that are clones of Windows XP; similarly silly.

When one moves to another operating system there is a learning curve
involved, and it is disingenuous to pretend there is not.

PearOS is rather like Water-wings or those funny little wheels on the sides
of bikes; you will become dependent on them, and never learn to
swim/ride a bike
properly.

My vote for ease of use for a new Linux user who is coming from Mac,
right now,
is Xubuntu:

http://xubuntu.org/

or Mint with XFCE:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818

You are more than welcome to e-mail me directly (i.e. off-list) if you
have any further questions.

Richmond Mathewson.