Collisions

Jim Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 25 12:53:13 EDT 2012

Geoff,

What happens when two ball of equal mass collide ellastically is an exchange in velocities.

The velocity is a VECTOR. I think that is the source of misunderstanding.

Your right there is  trig involved. For example from "Nine ball..."

function resetVel  xx,yy,xx',yy',vxx,vyy,vxx',vyy'
  put xx,yy into pme
  put xx',yy' into pOther
  put theLineAngle(pme,pOther) into tCentersAngle
  put tCentersAngle into tCa
  put xx,yy,xx+vxx,yy+vyy into tVelVector
  put theLineAngle(tVelVector) into tVa
  put sqrt(vxx'*vxx'+vyy'*vyy') into v'
  put sqrt(vxx*vxx+vyy*vyy) into v

  put xx',yy',xx'+vxx',yy'+vyy' into tVelVector'
  put theLineAngle(tVelVector') into tVa'
  --Angle of the vVector relative to the line joining centers
  put tVa - tCa into tVrA
  put tVa'- tCa into tVrA'

  put v*cos(tVrA) into vR'
  put v*sin(tVrA) into vT
  put v'*cos(tVrA') into vR
  put  v'*sin(tVrA') into vT'

  put vR*cos(tCa) - vT*sin(tCa) into vxx
  put vR*sin(tCa) + vT*cos(tCa) into vyy

  put vR'*cos(tCa) - vT'*sin(tCa) into vxx'
  put vR'*sin(tCa) + vT'*cos(tCa) into vyy'
  return vxx,vyy,vxx',vyy'
end resetVel

Jim Hurley