Serious Question about the list...

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:02:01 EDT 2012

The mailing lists predate the forum by many years.  Some people who
used the mailing list complained they preferred a forum, so RunRev
obliged and provided the forum.  It's not that one discussion
mechanism is officially sanctioned by RunRev, although I suspect new
users find the forum before the find the mailing list (and I suspect
that announcements from the MotherShip might be more notable in the
mailing list channel than in the forum).

Those of us for whom the mailing list was the way we discussed these
things for years have continued to use the mailing list.  Some people
are quite disciplined in going off to the forum to help out in
discussions there.  Some of us (such as me) just have a look at the
forum every few weeks or months.  I have a load of different
technologies to keep on top of, and just don't feel I have the time to
visit the forum on a regular basis.  Some of the old-hands (and some
of the new-hands) here are super-human.

Like others, I keep my email from RunRev in gmail, and have my own
search mechanism at hand.  I also use the 'draft' folder on gmail to
hold RunRev related notes of my own, so that when searching for
something I don't just find the past discussions of others, but also
have my own notes turn up in the results.  The forum is not actually
(IMO) easier to read or search than using the mailing list via gmail.

Bernard