Failing to understand the oddities of the "line" chunk

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Mar 19 13:54:04 EDT 2012

On 3/19/12 12:42 PM, Pete wrote:
> I can't help but feel that LC should flag a run time error in this
> situation. it's not logical for a range to have an end point less than its
> start point.  Any other action requires an arbitrary decision on what the
> user wants to happen and, as evident from this thread, different users
> expect different things.

I think it should behave the same way character selections do. A
negative range has been a valid construct since HyperCard and is,
actually, the only way to set the insertion point by script. It's a
necessary feature.

When applied to lines instead of characters, the current implementation
isn't following the same rules. My choice would be to make it consistent
with the established behavior for character ranges.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com