outputting Unicode text fields to Unicode text files

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:54:35 EDT 2012

On 03/18/2012 09:22 PM, Ralph DiMola wrote:
> Hey,,
> Thanks for the rapid response!!! Sorry I was not clear. The file will never
> be coming back to LC. It will be on its way a high end composition system
> never to see LC again.
>
> I currently use VB6 and would like to move more into the LC realm because of
> its chunk processing philosophy.

Having been "brought up" on Hypercard - Livecode, I had to take a
"side-trip" to Visual Basic 6
about 8 years ago; not much fun frankly; even worse than a similar
adventure I had with Toolbook.

Unfortunately, the "University" where I did an "MSc" in computers and IT
had "climbed into bed"
with Microsoft, so, despite their claims that what they taught was
relevant to all operating systems,
they fell over themselves to make sure that everything was tied to
Microsoft, and spent an awful lot
of lecture time denigrating Macintosh and Linux. I didn't really learn
anything of any value there.
The only good outcome was that I had to buy a book about Systems
development; the lecturer
seemed to know less about the subject than what I had read in the text
book the night before
the lecture: but, then, for years before he had been a lecturer he had
run a shop selling model
trains in the north of Scotland - how model trains equips one for
databases, SDLCs and so on
has always escaped me; and he was unable to answer that one when I asked
him.

You should find Livecode rather like a breath of fresh air after VB6.

In fact, come to think of it, I cannot help wondering why people are
still using Visual BASIC; especially
as it ties one to one operating system, one commercial company, and is
generally restrictive.

One of the things I have always liked about Livecode is that each object
has its own code in its own
window. While the first thing that bothered me with VB6 was having to
scroll down a seemingly-endless
list of code to find the bit for each object; which didn't prove all
that easy most of the time unless one
spent buckets of time writing comments in the code.

It gave me no-end of pleasure to do all my VB6 work using Windows 2000
in a Virtual PC emulator on
a G4 Macintosh, and all my thesis coding with Runtime
Revolution/Livecode on a Mac.