solved my own unicode problem

rand valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Sat Mar 17 12:07:33 EDT 2012

I just wrote asking for Unicode help, and found a solution in one of Devin
Asay's helps. I'm writing scripts to help my students move simple Unicode
text files (if there is such a thing) into a Windows-based linguistic
program called Toolbox. This program seems to only recognize UTF8 text. So
using Devin's command

put unidecode(the unicodeText of fld "x","utf8") into url theFile

The file opens with the correct rendering in Toolbox. I so wish Livecode
could just 'do Unicode' without my having to hassle with so many coding
tricks, but I think this is not so much a Livecode issue, as living in the
complex world of Unicode.

rand