outputting unicode text fields to unicode text files

rand valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Sat Mar 17 11:54:36 EDT 2012

Hi, all. I'm stymied in my efforts to save a field of Unicode text to a text
file. I'm working with Windows (7) and the latest version of Livecode.

The field has Unicode text in it which which I can readily copy and paste
into Word and Wordpad and preserve all of the Unicode characters. But if I
try to save it to a binfile I simply cannot get the correct text.

If I code

put the unicodeText of fld "x" into url theFile

it seems to not recognize that the fld is already Unicode text, and outputs
each character with a space after it as if it has tried to create Unicode
text from simple text. So the file is garbage.

But if I code

put fld "x" into url theFile

I also don't get the Unicode characters rendering correctly in a textfile.
What alternative is there to output this Unicode text to a Unicode text
file? Thanks.

rand valentine

university of wisconsin-madison