Sqlite and performances in LiveCode

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Mar 6 07:56:42 EST 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Pete <pete at mollysrevenge.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that LC 5.0 included a more recent version of the sqlite
> library so there could be some performance improvements there.

In 5.0.2 the SQLite version is 3.7.4 but it has no affect on the speed.

To check the version of SQLite that is included with LiveCode I use the
following code in a plugin:

*on* preopenCard

   *put* revOpenDatabase("sqlite",,,,,) into theConn

   *put* revDataFromQuery(tab, cr, theConn, "SELECT sqlite_version()")
intotheData

   revCloseDatabase theConn

   *put* "Installed SQLite version:" && theData into fld 1

*end* preopenCard

I'm not familiar with the sqlite API either but I doubt there's any way of
> retrieving data other than using a SELECT command.

You're probably right.

I just tried SQLiteManager 3 on my primary computer and I'm seeing similar
results. The Manage tab (which provides a  UI for generating queries)
reports that the same query is twice as fast as the SQL tab (where you
enter your own query string). I'm intrigued as to why this is.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems