Sqlite and performances in LiveCode

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:54:26 EST 2012

There was such a datagrid-lite control a few years back, produced by
Eric Chatonet.  Sadly Eric died, and ListMagic appears to no longer be
maintained.  It used the basic field object, and well, it did some
quite magical things with it.  I think ListMagic stopped working with
some changes introduced in the LC 4.x series (at least, it stopped
working for me).

However, I have been truly astonished with what Trevor's Data Grid can
achieve (and IMO it is far more than a data grid, it is almost a
framework).

Have you tried setting the dgText rather than the dgData?  In my
experience the former is much faster than the latter, which goes
against some of the things I've heard people say here, namely that the
Data Grid control will convert an such dgText into dgData before
displaying it.  The relative speediness of setting dgText makes me
think that cannot be true (although I haven't bothered to dig into the
code to see what is going on).

When working with the dgText and Sql Yoga, I've found that retrieving
results from a database as "data" (i.e. a list) rather than array, in
order to feed that list to the dgText is by far the quickest way to
go.  Even with dgText one can still do formatting/transformations on
columns.

Bernard.