Sqlite and performances in LiveCode

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Mar 5 12:05:14 EST 2012

Well, that's the "downside" of using Livecode and expecting blazing speed
for large data sets; the LC data grid is 100% Livecode based, not a 'binary
object'. The upside is that it is infinitely customizable, and very easy to
use. There's a lot of 'stuff' going on under the hood! Basically what you
said.

On 5 March 2012 01:45, Pete <pete at mollysrevenge.com> wrote:

> I think the acid test here is to use sqlite3 vs Livecode, since sqlite3 is
> the official command line tool for sqlite and likely to be more efficient
> than any other browsing tool.  I tested a select * from a table with about
> 48,000 records in it, using a datagrid versus an LC screen that invoked
> sqlite3, passing it all the necessary parameters, reading the output and
> displayed it in a scrolling field.  I did not do any coded timings but
> retrieving and displaying the records in an LC datagrid took around 3-4
> times longer than in sqlite3.  The datagrid was using the
> dgNumberOfRecords/GetDataForLine techniques outlined in the datagrid manual
> and there was no data formatting involved.
>
> The crazy thing about this is that, using those techniques, I believe the
> datagrid loads only enough database rows to fill the number of rows that
> are visible in the datagrid, adding more rows as the user scrolls.  So the
> comparison is really between selecting and displaying all 48,000 rows in
> sqlite3 vs selecting 48,000 rows and displaying only 11 rows (the number of
> rows in my datagrid).
>
> It's pretty clear that using a datagrid to display large datasets is not a
> good idea if you want to maximize performance unless you really need the
> the functionality that a datagrid provides.
>
> On the other hand, the original post seemed to indicate that, even though
> the elapsed time using a datagrid was several times longer than the SQLabs
> tool, it was still less than a second.  While it's interesting to figure
> out why that should be, I'd guess that a response time of less than a
> second is acceptable from a user's perspective.
>
> Pete

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA