[OT] How long before..

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:48:05 EDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 04:31 PM, -=>JB<=- wrote:
> The AI we have had in the past is primitive and not even close to the AI
> I am talking about.  i have not seen anything fantastic come from the old
> so called AI because it was artificial in even claiming it to be AI.

<snip>

Artificial Intelligence if we mean something that can learn from input
and act on it does exist.

Artificial Intelligence if we mean a machine that behaves like a Bonobo
or a Human does not exist
and is unlikely to as that presupposes Bonobos and Humans are entirely
mechanistic.

Artificial Intelligence can be something as simple as a computer program
that learns how an end-user uses it and reshapes its behaviour to echo
the end-user's preferences. I(f that is the case, then the Mozilla
Firefox browser that "lives" in part of my Linux box may be said to
possess some sort of AI.

However my cat (who is neither a computer program, nor interacts with
computers), and I (???)
both possess a quite different sort of intelligence . . .

This is why the Russell-Carnap theory that everything could be boiled
down to a set of mathematical equations has failed so miserably.

So, while Artificial Intelligence can be said to exist, and be said to
be capable of development, to
equate AI with animal intelligence might lead to ridiculous and
unreasonable expectations.

Animals have feelings, and feelings cannot be mathematically quantified
yet animals act upon them.

When I see a computer and/or program that suffers from mood swings I
will admit I was wrong!

I don't know whether anybody has sat down and mapped out how AI is
expected to develop
over the next dozen years or so. This might prove useful so that a lot
of people don't waste
an awful lot of time trying to get something to behave in a way it is
congenitally incapable of,
and stop the sort of "my computer behaves like my girlfriend" sort of
expectations that seem to
be current.