[OT] How long before..

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:45:11 EDT 2012

It's the little things that hurt. They ruined the really wonderful feature of "spaces" in Snow Leopard, which allowed you to have a grid of separate desktops in two dimensions. In Lion, no grid, it's a linear string, and it doesn't even wrap around, so to get from one on the far right to one on the far left, you have to scoot through multiple spaces. Plus you no longer can look at the menubar to tell which desktop you're in. There doesn't seem to be ANY rationale for this, other than that's the way iOS works. It's as though someone said, "let's see how we can spoil the desktop." What they should have done is made the iOS spaces work like SL, added a dimension to the mobile GUI.

And to add insult to injury, Mac Mail no longer supports option-arrowkeys to jump through messages in the same thread. Why take away a useful feature??? It's a little thing, but Apple used to get so many of the little things right, and that's what added up to a consistent, intuitive GUI that people could really fall in love with. It's looking as if the coherence is evaporating -- RIP Jobs, probably. As a *very* loyal longtime Mac user, I am feeling more and more betrayed, and I'm actually beginning to wonder if at some point I'll be abandoning the platform. It makes me sad. And angry.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig