[OT] How to take a fairly good concept and jack it up badly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 17 09:32:25 EDT 2012

I suspect Apple will undergo significant changes to some of these
policies for their app stores.

In addition to the onerous situation you described, consider the many
opportunities for small and medium organizations to put their iOS
devices to use solving problems specific to their business, like
inventory tools, point-of-sale apps, etc. - the type of stuff we
LiveCoders have been making on the desktop for such orgs for decades,
now potentially even more useful with mobile counterparts.

With Apple's current policies, it's so difficult to deploy custom apps
specific to a business that it's prohibitive for many of them.

But with Android, you just turn off the developer lock and copy the APK
file.

A majority of people in the US work in small businesses.

This is too big a market for Apple to continue to insist that those orgs
use Android whenever they need cost-effective deployment of custom apps.

Given the size of this audience and the current competitive state of
things, I'll go out on a limb to predict that Apple's iOS will become as
easy to deploy custom apps to as Android by this time next year.

If not, they'll lose out on a million opportunities coming up in the
months ahead as tools like LiveCode make it possible for even small
businesses to afford this sort of custom development.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World