Zipping Up an LC standalone program

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Apr 10 22:23:30 EDT 2012

Pete,

I wonder if your revZip issue comes from the fact that a .app file is really a
folder in disguise.

To pick an app via dialog on OS X, you must say "answer file" but then
immediately you must treat the .app "file" you picked as a folder containing
subfolders and files.

Consider this button code:

on mouseUp
     answer file "Pick an app to zip"
     if it = empty then exit to top

     set the defaultFolder to it
     put the defaultFolder & cr & the folders
end mouseUp

When you run this, the defaultFolder is now indeed the selected .app "file" and
it contains a "Contents" folder which contains all the app parts. So you'll need
to drill down into the .app folder and add each file to your zip file.

Then when it's restored at installation time, you may have to turn on the .app
folder's bundle bit, I'm not really sure. I think someone on the list told how
to do this some time ago but I couldn't tell you who or how. There's probably a
line command for it.

Food for thought.

Phil Davis

--