[OT] images: best transparent format

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sun Oct 30 14:37:06 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Richmond wrote:

> On 10/30/2011 05:32 PM, Roger Eller wrote:
>
>> Try Sumo Paint On-line. Transparency is supported, and it can save as PNG.
>> It's like having Photoshop Lite inside your browser.
>>
>> http://www.sumopaint.com/app/
>>

> The emphasis being on "Lite" (which is, itself a bad sign, as somebody has
> economised on letters and
> spelt a 'Lite' version of 'Light'; which, to a certain school of thought
> means ONLY bad spelling).
>
> One of the snags of Sumo Paint (compared with GIMP) is that one cannot
> save images to one's computer
> with layers and so forth preserved, that can, later, be edited in other
> graphic programs.
>
> To me, at least, Sumo Paint, seems to contain a small subset of the
> capabilities of GIMP + it will not
> work unless one has an internet connexion.

I should have known better than to abbreviate a word when communicating
with a school teacher.  Sorry.  ;-)

Since everywhere I work seems to have an internet connection, but doesn't
always have GIMP or Photoshop, or admin rights to install software, in a
pinch, you can at least create/edit images with transparency with
SumoPaint.  I love GIMP, but sometimes other options are good to have too.

˜Roger