[OT] images: best transparent format

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 16:47:37 EDT 2011

On 10/30/2011 08:37 PM, Roger Eller wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Richmond wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/2011 05:32 PM, Roger Eller wrote:
>>
>>> Try Sumo Paint On-line. Transparency is supported, and it can save as PNG.
>>> It's like having Photoshop Lite inside your browser.
>>>
>>> http://www.sumopaint.com/app/
>>>
>> The emphasis being on "Lite" (which is, itself a bad sign, as somebody has
>> economised on letters and
>> spelt a 'Lite' version of 'Light'; which, to a certain school of thought
>> means ONLY bad spelling).
>>
>> One of the snags of Sumo Paint (compared with GIMP) is that one cannot
>> save images to one's computer
>> with layers and so forth preserved, that can, later, be edited in other
>> graphic programs.
>>
>> To me, at least, Sumo Paint, seems to contain a small subset of the
>> capabilities of GIMP + it will not
>> work unless one has an internet connexion.
>
> I should have known better than to abbreviate a word when communicating
> with a school teacher.  Sorry.  ;-)
>
> Since everywhere I work seems to have an internet connection, but doesn't
> always have GIMP or Photoshop, or admin rights to install software, in a
> pinch, you can at least create/edit images with transparency with
> SumoPaint.  I love GIMP, but sometimes other options are good to have too.

Obviously Sumopaint is useful if one cannot install software on somebody
else's computer.
I have mucked around with it, but, as in my case I always have some sort
of machine I can
install GIMP on (and tend to run around with a CD in my bag containing
Mac and Win versions of the thing), I have never really taken it all
that seriously.

The thing I find very odd indeed, is not people referring to Sumopaint,
but the assumption that
Photoshop is still "cock of the rock", when I am not sure it is anymore
. . .

There are quite a few open source apps 'out-and-about', as well as some
Free, closed-source
ones (I am keen on Xara extreme - Linux only, unfortunately). There are
quite a few small apps
that are freely available which can produce gifs or pngs with
transparent areas without horribly
jaggy edges.