Making Sense of Licenses

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 20 12:20:06 EDT 2011

Admin wrote:

> Oh. In every other program I have purchased, including
> software IDEs, it is almost always common to get a year (or more) of
> updates, so it was kind of assumed. For some reason, I thought I
> upgraded to complete, but you are right about me upgrading to Gold. I
> checked my purchases. Truth be told, I have not had Live Code that long
> and had no idea 5 was 'around the corner' considering how much I plunked
> down (although it was still a good deal). I would have waited if I knew
> that. I wish there was a product version cycle countdown timer or
> something. I mean, you went from 4.6 to 5. What happened to 4.7, 4.8 and
> 4.9???? (lol).

Why not just skip a version or two?

If you wait a year before upgrading you'll get a year's worth of
enhancements.

I love using LiveCode, but ALL software I purchase here is evaluated in
terms of how well it does the work I need to do today.

I stopped automatically upgrading software many years ago, from all
vendors, including Apple, Adobe, and even RunRev.

I do generally stay current with LiveCode, but over the years I've
skipped a version or two if it didn't solve a problem I couldn't solve
with what I already had.

No harm, no foul. Buy what you need and you'll always have what you
need.  Buy only what you need and you can enjoy a longer vacation. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World