OT: How does Windows handle spaces in program names?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon May 23 18:19:10 EDT 2011

I may or may not have responded to this, but you cannot simply enclose the program name in quotes for the argument to the shell command, because Livecode will simply interpret whatever is between the quotes and send that.

Instead, put the path to the app or file you want to work with into a variable, say:

put "C:\Documents and Settings\myprofile\Desktop\My App Name.exe" into theFilePath

then insert the quotes so that the quotes are actually a part of the contents of the variable like so:
put quote before theFilePath
put quote after theFilePath

Now shell it out:
put shell(attrib && theFilePath && "+R") into myResult -- assuming you are trying to get the attribute

Does this not work for you?

Bob