use-livecode Digest, Vol 92, Issue 46

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon May 23 14:02:10 EDT 2011

UAC stands for User Account Control. Since Vista, Microsoft's answer to software silently installing itself is to give any user, even administrators, a non-administrator "token" meaning even when you log in as an administrator you are not actually running as one.

Then if you do anything that requires administrator access, you get a dialog that asks you if you really want to do what you are doing. This can be disabled in User Accounts. I don't have Windows 7 in front of my, but it's one of the links on the left, I believe the last one when you pull up the User Accounts control panel.

Just slide the slider bar all the way down and this will disable UAC. Note, some people will say this is a security problem, and in a sense they are right. Any process launching in your profile will not automatically and silently be granted Administrator privileges. It's basically like Windows XP security at that point.

You can disable it (which I think requires a restart not sure though) try to run Livecode and see if it fixes your problem. You can then reset the UAC to what it was later.

Hope this helps.

Bob