Suggestions for releasing to Open Source

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon May 16 15:21:41 EDT 2011

Folks,

First, the expert here on the list is David, he'll probably chime in soon.
In the meanwhile let me give a couple information here.

LiveCode stacks can be released as FOSS. We're over the linking with
proprietary engine trouble, that has been discussed a lot and in the end,
the stack is yours to distribute as you see fit. I recommend bitbucket as an
online repo or if you want to do it on your own server then go fossil-scm.

Now, onto Richmond's trouble and why the ubuntu project rejected his tools.
Ubuntu needs all its bundled tools to be opensource including their
dependencies because it needs to be able to rebuild itself from source with
nothing but gcc. So open source that require a proprietary engine such as
LiveCode is not acceptable because their users will not be able to rebuild
it from source unless they have a license for lc. So it is about been able
to rebuild more than it is about the linking issue. Unless the coordinators
there are being particularly purists regarding the linking issues but I
don't expect that from canonical, from debian or the fsf maybe.

So in the end, you can release your software as open source, just don't
expect big foss to pickit up because the source is of limited usefulness
without an engine license.

My two bananas
Andre

enviado do meu Nexus S
andregarzia.com :: all we do is code
On May 16, 2011 8:45 AM, "Richmond Mathewson" <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 09:13 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>> Richmond,
>>
>> That's not true. You could at least release your source code as
open-source. There are open-source licenses that allow this. If you think no
license fits, then simply invent your own.