Suggestions for releasing to Open Source

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:33:52 EDT 2011

On 05/16/2011 08:11 PM, Derek Bump - Dreamscape Software wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy way that I can release a
> project as Open Source?
>
> Do I just put the code up on sourceforge or freshmeat?
>
> The project already includes TightVNC functionality, and as such,
> forces me to release the project as Open Source.  Also, I'm not
> looking to actively develop the project any further, I just want to
> release what I've got so far and let anyone else take it and run with it.
>
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

If your project involves Livecode/Runtime Revolution it CANNOT be
released as Open Source as the
Livecode engine is Closed Source.

I fell foul of this about 5 years ago when I offered a slew of my EFL
programs as freebies to
the Edubuntu arm of Ubuntu; they turned them down flat because they were
not completely
open source (even though I was prepared to bundle the original stacks
with them).

In fact IFF your project involves some sort of code (such as TightVNC)
that obliges you to
release your end product as Open Source, and also involves the Livecode
engine, you are, to be rather
coarse, 'sha**ed' (whatever consonants you supply you will end up with
something fairly
filthy), as Livecode stuff ISN'T Open Source; and sitting on a fence is
rather uncomfortable, and it is
difficult to see exactly how you could do that in that sort of situation.

Until someone develops an Open Source clone of the Livecode engine (all
rather too much work
for precious little reward) ALL stuff developed with Liecode cannot be
described as Open Source.

Sorry.