GLXFramework

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 5 15:40:20 EDT 2011

Todd Geist wrote:
> Frameworks exist for many other languages. PHP, Java, Groovy, Ruby, Python,
> all have multiple frameworks. Ruby simply would not be the big deal it is
> today if it had not been for Rails.
>
> It would be great if Live Code had one.

And here you are, using one. :)

Personally I prefer a world in which frameworks come from the community
and RunRev focuses on the engine.  I think it puts resources where they
can be best applied, as with Rails and Ruby, Drupal and PHP, and so many
others.

Perhaps the biggest difference between LC and those other languages is
that those are open source, which does wonders for adoption among
programming languages perhaps more than in any other category.

With the unmatchable large audience possible with open languages, there
are so many people using them that the 0.1% inclined to make frameworks
is a sizable number.

IMO LiveCode offers an unbeatable ROI over alternatives, which is why I
use it for most of my work.   And as its audience grows by the leaps and
bounds we've seen in the last two years, the range of tools has expanded
greatly along with it.

But will it ever grow to a million active users, in which 0.1% would
mean more than enough frameworks for every taste and need?  I'd like to
see that, but in the meantime I'm working with others in our own modest
way toward making frameworks and other interoperable components easier
to make and use through the Rev Interoperability Project:

The initiatives on the plate currently in the RIP group are somewhat
modest, but they're beginning for form a foundation on which people can
craft both end-user apps for their customers and IDE toolkits for
themselves more easily.

The group is open to all who are interested in community software - dive
in, the water's fine.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World