Long-term Planning UI Ideas

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu May 5 08:53:38 EDT 2011

David,

You could use multiple fields, stacked on top of each other and grouped together as a "year"; make ten copies of the group and set them end to end, then group all ten and resize the group horizontally down to the width you want. Turn on the hoizontal scrollbar of the outermost group and set the lockLocation of the outer group to true (otherwise itvruns the risk of expanding to fit it's contents, which would be all 10 years).

So for a "year group", the first field would hold just the year number with the text centered. The field underneath would be just the month letters, using tabs between them and setting the tabStops of the field so they look evenly distributed. Same thing with the week day letters, and then finally the days themselves (which could be set up as a single 5-line field with 7 tabStops).

You'd probably want to work backwards, though, starting with the days and working up to the year - it will make it easier/faster to line things up.

Hope this helps,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.