OT: are 72dpi still state of the art for screen design?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon May 2 04:44:41 EDT 2011

Hi,

from the 90th the appropriate resolution for images for screen design was
72dpi.

When looking around I see more often images with 96dpi and in the iWorld we
speak about the retina display with xxdpi and when looking into the display
properties of my windows machine, the textsize is a 9pt font with 96dpi (I
don't know the sense of this 96dpi on a 72dpi display)

Working with LiveCode and a "standard Flatscreen" on a windows machine I
still don't see any quality difference in LC when importing the same image
with same width with 72, 96 or more dpi. So obviously most screens (Windows,
Mac) today still have a resolution of 72dpi and every dpi pixel more is dead
freight. Only exception so far I know is the retina display from the iPhone
and perhaps some other new smartphones.

What I would like to know is, what you folks are doing today. Are you still
shrinking your images to 72dpi or are you using 96dpi prophylactic in case
the resolutions of standard screens switch to 96dpi some day, or even more?

Any experience welcome

Tiemo