[OT] is the Lion really just a donkey sewn inside an old lion skin?

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sun Jun 12 16:41:15 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> Hey don't peg me as a robotic apple fanboy/apologist.  I swear everyday at
> some of the idiotic UI and procedural gyrations Apple puts us through.

It's funny that you used the word "robotic" as the negative adjective for
the label I didn't peg you with.  I, being a robotics enthusiast, should
also take offense, but I choose instead to laugh at myself for being a
robo-fanboy.  :)

>  Anyway, I was forced by circumstance and availability of software for the
> aging G5.  Upgrade or die. The G5 will now become my TV set.

As a robo-fanboy, I appreciate recycled electronics.  My PC, until recently,
lived through 10 years of upgrades and motherboard replacements.  Apple, who
builds impressive hardware, does not do 'green' very well when it comes to
their giant metal pro towers.  Allot of energy goes into making them.  The
smaller devices like the mini are more impressive to me.

> The 12 core was not appreciably much faster for most 32 bit apps than my
> old
> G5 Tower. Applications (such as Pro Tools) are only now starting to be 64
> bit and/or use the extra processors. Still waiting for Final Cut or "X" or
> whatever to be 64 bit for video editing (with 'live' rendering).   I will
> try and do some Livecode benchmarks in the future and report back.

I trust benchmarks, especially under real world settings.  It's good to see
the same tests after several months of using a new system to see how it
performs after caches have filled up, etc.

>  On 12 June 2011 11:26, Roger Eller wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
> >
> > > Well for one thing, everything Apple in Lion is 64 bit and is DAMN FAST
> > on
>  >
> > What system wouldn't 'seem' fast with 12 cores and no load?  I am not one
> > who believes it is good just because Apple says.
> >

> Stephen Barncard
> San Francisco Ca. USA

˜Roger