pinging or else network devices from livecode

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Jan 24 12:43:38 EST 2011

Wait a minute, the arp command does not send out anything does it? I thought arp only parsed out the current arp table for the device you are running the command on.

Try flushing your arp cache, then running the arp command and see what you get. On a Unix terminal, the arp command needs a switch (parameter) like -a. Be careful here, because the arp command will also WRITE to the arp table. You can actually add an entry that registers an IP address to a hardware address. If there is anything wrong with what you tell it, you may lose connectivity to the device until you clear the arp table.

Bob