[OT] Re: Crashing Ubuntu 11.10 with LC 4.5

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 07:26:27 EST 2011

On 12/27/2011 01:45 PM, Bernard Devlin wrote:
> I was so appalled by the latest Ubuntu, I switched to Mint.  Ubuntu
> had become as slow as using Windows Vista.  No wonder Mint has taken
> off.  Whilst the main charts in the link below are based on
> DistroWatch (arguably a sign of what cutting-edge linux users are up
> to), the chart further down the page showing Google search data
> indicates that the claim that Ubuntu is losing out to Mint has some
> basis.
>
> http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/11/23/ubuntu-linux-losing-popularity-fast-new-unity-interface-to-blame/
>
> My negative experience with Ubuntu last month was what drove me to
> look at Mint, which I'd vaguely heard of over the past few years.
>
> Bernard

Well, I'm just about to hop on the plane for my annual visit to Britain
(which will include
dephlogisticating my parents' laptop, which was running Ubuntu 10.10,
which has gone
very "sour" since my Father couldn't resist clicking on distro-upgrade
and getting
b*ggered by Unity. I am, right now, wondering whether I should reinstall
Ubuntu 10.10 and
lock-down the upgrade option, or go for Mint 12 with MATE............

The whole MATE thing has come about because the "powers that be" in the
Debian world have
mucked around with the repositories in such a way that one cannot, say,
install Ubuntu 11.10 and then GNOME 2 using apt-get. Since the Linux
people go on, and on, and on, tiresomely about "choice" this
is a crock of sh*t.

As I seem to be unable to get Mint 12 to behave itself in Virtual Box I
am a bit nervous about
spending donkey's ages on a real laptop only to find out that I have
ended up with a 'pup'.

Of course, the other option, is just to install XFCE on my parents'
existing setup; although that
sounds like a fudge.

Here in Bulgaria, I am "living" with Ubuntu 11.10 just at the moment,
having got things reasonably the
way I want things with Avant Window Manager; however Compiz keeps dying
on me, Nautilus has
periodic 'headaches', and the whole thing is most definitely not
what-it-should-be. And, as you will see from the Use-List yesterday, I
managed to get the GUI to lock-up completely with LC 4.5 . . . which
made me hopping mad.

I only wish I knew a way to get that flaming "launcher" thing to go away
for ever, as it keeps popping up like a bad penny, over on the left,
whenever I have to enter a password, with annoying frequency, and to no
obvious purpose.

I have been a big, big fan of Avant Window Manager since I started
seriously transitioning from Mac to Linux, and the Dock-like setup of
AWN really makes me feel right at home; especially, as it has a "Start"
Menu option that replaces that that was present in GNOME 2 and has been
chucked away with Unity and GNOME 3.

I am unaware of my machine running noticeably more slowly than when I
had SalineOS on it:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, RAM 2.0 GB

But I have never been unduly bothered about shaving seconds off here and
there, or not having time for the odd gulp of coffee . . .  :)

I may be "a naughty boy" and use M & D's laptop as a guinea-pig, and
install Mint 12 with MATE to
see what it's like; if I like it I'll install it here when I come back,
and if M & D like it, that's groovy; failing that they'll get Ubuntu
10.10 with all upgrades disabled.

What GNOME 3 plus Mono-Sodium-GlutaMATE will look like is anybody's
guess; and as to functionality;