DSN Less connections to ODBC database

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Fri Dec 9 17:11:51 EST 2011

Hi Todd,

do you want to connect to an ODBC data source w/o creating a DSN in ODBC Manager/Administrator on Win/Mac?

If so, there was a discussion in October 2010 in this list with the topic "Does revDB support FileDSN or Connection Strings?"

The following is an example which should work under windows w/o problems.

get revOpenDatabase("ODBC","DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=" & tServer\
            & ";DATABASE=" & tDBase & ";UID=" & tUser & ";PWD=" & tPw\
            & ";Trusted_Connection=No",,,)

On Mac i am using the ActualTech with this connection string:
Driver={Actual SQL Server};Server=192.168.0.1\SQLExpress;Database=NorthWind;UID=sa;PWD=my_password;"
You should not have any spaces around the semi-colons or the assignment operator (the "equals" signs).

Btw.: There is a site http://www.connectionstrings.com/ with a connection string reference.

Regards,

Matthias