on-rev remote database

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Tue Oct 19 03:27:44 EDT 2010

Le 18 oct. 2010 à 20:41, Andrew Kluthe a écrit :

> The client never actually gets the login credentials for the database
> because they are stored in our private "big" client DB. On startup the rev
> program fetches the credentials from our database and connects to theirs to
> begin working with it.

Definitively the way to go !

> I would hate to have to rewrite my entire suite of programs to center around
> an irev script for the transactions. I would love to use On-Rev as a
> database host because of how close it is to where I am located and the power
> of revServer.

If you prefer, you can do this in having your client (web browser or LiveCode ria app) posting their credentials to a PHP script indeed but in any case you will have to be sure that the server-side script will respond to the clients requests and interact with the db-backend only when each client will have been authenticated as allowed to interact with its own account on your on-line app.

If most of your customers are, alike mine, using dynamic IP to connect the cloud and subsequently your or mine on-line apps, an IP-based authentication system will not be usable nor safe at all in such a context.

HTH,

--
Pierre Sahores
mobile : (33) 6 03 95 77 70