HyperCard for the iPad

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Thu May 20 16:05:24 EDT 2010

On 20 May 2010, at 16:46, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> I believe Apple would allow a HyperCard-like app for the iPhone/
>> iPad only if they could have complete assurances it would be
>> available EXCLUSIVELY for iPhone OS.
>
> Kevin offered to do exactly that, and was still refused. It's in his
> blog post.

Important distinction - Runrev offered to do a *dev environment* that
would build exclusively for the iPhone/iPad.

At no point has Runrev (to my knowledge) offered to build something
equivalent to Hypercard *ON* the iPad. Probably because it would
immediately fall foul of 'no interpreted code' and would be a end-user
product in the first place.

At the moment the only way I can see a Hypercard equivalent on the
iPad would be if it then used Webkit as a VM, so in effect it's output
would be HTML/JS/CSS. Which would then make it rather hard to transfer
stacks to other people.

Jerry's eventual plan for an iPad front-end to edit Rodeo apps online
is about the closest I've heard of from anyone, on this list or
anywhere else.

Ian