Getting an Audio Plugin Created ( was RE: [audio] Call for an updated enhanced quicktime audio library ora small audio complementary library!)

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Tue May 18 05:54:06 EDT 2010

Thanks all for your contributions. I propose to set up somewhere a wiki page
so that all interested parties can  append a specification document with
suggestions, reactions and so on.. ??

It sounds a good idea to set the boundaries between several "levels" of
librairies and raw some specifications subsets consequently. In practice It
can be a good way to start and see if things go well.

Feedbacks :

1) Please do append at this stage with your ideas but do refer to fNumbers
that should not change. If you add, add a fNumber. Yhanks.

Current number of functions is : 18th may = 15

2) In a second time I'll turn that into a table so that we can all express
what we need mostly 300% and have a braod and precise view of the situation.

Basically we would have the following possibilities :

Set1 -  BASIC AUDIO "trim" functions, just to be able to record good quality
sounds (Robert Maniquant)

fa1 - fade in / fade out possibly auto-trim functions
fa2 - cross mix fade in and out between two or more files.
fa3 - normalization
fa4 - a simple basic reverb/echo combined for voice/music with basic setting

these functions should work on raw wave files as recorded by the runrev
record function.

To be complemented by an mp3 output (see later)

Set2 - MIDI PLAY (rene Micout)

f5 - Command > PlayMidiNote
(midiChannel,instrument,pitch,duration,velocity,pano,vibrato,reverb) with
parameters :
        midiChannel = Midi channel number
        instrument = number of Midi instrument (General Midi § General Midi
Drum & other...) 0-127...
        pitch = note Midi : 0-127
        duration = duration of the note in milliseconds
        velocity = volume of the note (QuickTime synthesizer) 0-127
        pano = panoramic Midi 0-127
        vibrato = vibrato effect Midi 0-127
        reverb = reverberation effect Midi 0-127

f6 - Command > PlayMidiChord(parameters : dito PlayMidiNote with pitch =
array of notes)
 or chord name? (robert M)

f7- midi Message > Trap USB signal from a musical keyboard by example with
parameters midiChannel,pitch,on/off...

The latency must be < 40 miliseconds

Robert : the equality of midi sounds rests on using a good sound lib. So
that should be controlled somehow. (set sound lib?)

Set3 - extended "pro" AUDIO MIXING (stephen Barncard)

f8. Multiple audio streams, multichannel possibilities
Robert : interesting point, an audio stream lib, that could be compatible
with revWeb too!?

f9. Edit window primitives (waveform drawing, edit points)

f10. Good level metering hooks
robert : I think we do have these in revOnline, they work fine to view the
output.

f11. RTAS Plugins

f12. SMPTE Library

f13. Support for OGG and Flac

Set4 - AUDIO PROGRAMING LIBRARIES
f13 : open/save wave file content. Content poured into a data table, ready
to deal with. Save back from the result table, empty copy of the input data
table.

Robert : could be basis for Set3 pro audio mixing, that could be done as
much as possible direct in xTalk.

Set0 - License free NON QUICKTIME AUDIO FRAMEWORK : a non quicktime,
concurrent mac, windows and linux compliant audio framework, based on a
license free format like org vorbis; with the runrev made installer to make
this an ok road to develop apps without risking tons of support calls for
that.

f14- MP3 output :  so far we have to use lame which is great, but, implies
installing that on each computer... an included plugin would be much more
simple and reduce risks of support issues

Robert : I wonder if it could be possible to make an AAC export function
license free if it is made available to the pulic, ei non commercial. I
think it could work out. e.g. Runrev could not, but a non lucrative
asociation could perhaps!?

f15- simpler & basic : a lame installer and checking utility