Apple Anti-Trust (was Apples actual response to the Flash issue)

Randall Lee Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Tue May 4 13:09:58 EDT 2010

What everyone here seems to forget is that flash finally took vector graphics powered by very tightly packed and efficiently executed byte code to a web that choked up by static bit maps.  It was long overdue.  Problem is that it never belonged at the plugin level.  Now steve is trying to right this architectural wrong, but from the same messed up closed system protectionist motivation that drove macromedia to make the same mistake.  Infrastructure is infrastructure.  It serves no one  to build a private interstate highway system.  haven't we learned this yet?  I am all for antitrust laws but only when those writing and enforcing them understand them at a deeper level than simple market competition.  Obama is a smart guy.  He is appointing smart prosecutors and judges and giving them the right mandates.  Something of merit will come of this standoff and what motivates it.  But I do remember the ridiculous apple antitrust suit against microsoft.  Who built the windows mouse metaphor... xerox.  The truth has a way of bubbling up.

What bothers me is how willing the public is to forgive (even become apologists for) criminal or short sighted minds when those minds get rich being "better at being wrong than I am".

What color is the money you make?