[Really OT] 2 hours till the biggest event in the year starts...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:42:19 EDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 11:21 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Andre Garzia wrote:
>> Sorry for this OT but it is in my DNA, if I don't do this I loose my
>> citzenship and my passport.
>>
>> Well, in just about 2 hours the world cup will finally start, as you all
>> know, if only starts when WE enter the stage.
>>
>> I wish all the other teams a good experience in loosing to us.
>>
>> We know our current soccer team is quite bad. The coach is some crazy
>> guy
>> that decided to keep some wonderful players out, here in Brazil, we
>> call a
>> good player a "craque" which sounds like crack, the drug, so when the
>> coach
>> announced the team, outdoors and billboards were seen saying "do like
>> the
>> coach, don't use craque" as a joke with the drug campaigns.
>>
>> If Brazil scores less than 4x0 in this first match, I will personally
>> boo
>> the players till they are deaf. Now, this country is making so much
>> noise
>> with vuvuzelas since 6:00 AM that you guys over north america and europe
>> might just be hearing us. Imagine, a country made of yellow and green
>> vuvuzelas...
>>
>> É HEXA! BRASIL!!!!
>>
>> Andre "painting my face right now" Garzia
>
> :)
>
> Just as there is no rugby without the All Blacks, there can be no
> football* without the Brazilians.
>
> Best of luck to your team.  Now that they're in I'll start watching.
>

> * For the American readers here, by "football" I'm referring to the
> game in which the ball is moved with the foot, as opposed to the
> American game which mistakenly uses the same name but in which the
> ball is carried in the hands; I guess "handball" was already taken
> when they were naming that one. ;)

I think if you do a spot of historical research you will find that
American football is descended from a variant
of Rugby football (in England there are 2 variants:

Rugby Union:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union (15 players a side)

Rugby League:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league  (13 players a
side) )

there are also:

Canadian football:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football  (12
players a side)

Australian football:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football
(18 players a side on an oval pitch)

William Thursfield is my cousin (his Grandmother is my Mother's sister):

http://www.aussierulesinternational.com/home/world/europe/england/will_thursfield

and what has to be the best of all:

Underwater rugby:  http://www.uv-sport.dk/UVENG/NIVEAU/Uv1.htm

To make things easier let's make up a table of equivalencies:

Rugby football as played at Rugby school in the mid-19th century = Hypercard

Rugby football as played in a school playground in about 1910 = SERF

Rugby League = Supercard

Rugby Union = Metacard

Scots Rugby Union = RunRev

Oh Blast; I got so carried away I forgot about American football altogether.

Now if that is not REALLY OT I don't know what is.

AND; my cousin William knows nothing about RunRev.