parental control problems - Mac OS X

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 28 12:25:59 EST 2010

Chris Sheffield wrote:
> After logging in with the student
> account, attempting to launch the app results in the infamous
> bouncing icon in the dock but then the app shuts down problem. What's
> even stranger, though, is that after attempting this and then logging
> back in with the admin account and attempting to run the app again,
> it doesn't work for the admin anymore. So it's like by attempting to
> run the app with a managed account, it is breaking something system
> wide.

The tech queue is getting questions about this too, and I'm not sure
what the answer is. It isn't related to your filtering program. This
works for some:

Log into Terminal and do sudo chmod 755 on the app bundle.

You could also try throwing away the OS-generated plist file in Preferences.

Also try changing the owner of the app in Get Info.

None of these has proved to be successful for everyone though, and in
your situation it isn't really reasonable to ask your customers to use
Terminal.

The above is from a web page that has other suggestions too:

<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330759-263.html>

That page is a little old but the Terminal instructions worked in one
case I had. I need to find out more about this.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com