revlet newbie questions

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:27:13 EST 2010

So I'm just now playing with revlets, and was hoping to be able to convert an existing desktop app to a revlet, just as kind of a proof of concept thing. So far I'm striking out. Running on a Mac, OS X 10.6.2, it's totally locking up Firefox and, while Safari doesn't lock up, the revlet doesn't load properly. I just get a blank screen.

This is a fairly complex desktop app, basically a front end to a mysql database, so I'm sure there is simply code in there that will not run in a revlet. So I'm wondering, is there a good, single source out there somewhere that lists what works and what doesn't work in a revlet? Things to avoid in revlets? One thing I discovered is that the "go stack" command is supported in a revlet, but I can't seem to make it work unless I use the "go stack in window" form. Is that the only way to do it?

This app consists of several stack files, not substacks of one main stack, but rather several main stack files that are opened and closed depending on what the user is doing. Is that a problem in a revlet? Is it necessary to build each stack file into a revlet, or can they remain in their regular stack file and still be loaded using "go stack" from the first stack, which would be built as a revlet?

I've noticed in the Rev documentation that the "Class" column lists whether or not handlers work in a revlet, but is there some way to filter  the list? I don't seem to be able to. The search field seems to only search on the handler/property names.

What would be really nice, and I suppose I could do this myself if I had the time right now, would be a little plugin for Rev that could scan through an open stack and spit out a list of the "incompatilities" with revlets that appear in that stack. Any takers? If not, can someone point me to a "step-by-step" revlet guide? Hopefully I'm not asking too much. :-)

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield