Windows 'run as administrator' property of standalone.

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Thu Feb 4 20:11:55 EST 2010

David Glasgow wrote

> Whilst trying to solve a problem of a customer, I noticed that on
> Vista, a standalone can have a 'run as administrator' property set,
> which presumably does what it says on the tin.  My recollection is that
> Pre Vista this was a property which could be set on a shortcut, but not
> the standalone itself.
>
> I was wondering whether setting this before distribution might reduce
> the occasional permissions problems which arise.  I was also slightly
> worried that user levels can apparently be so readily overridden by an
> executable, and also that there may be unforeseen (by me) adverse
> consequences if I set this flag before distribution.
>
> So, should I or shouldn't I?

Personally I wouldn't recommend it because depending on the user's level and
how the UAC is set up on their system, they could be prompted, EVERY single
time they launch your app as to whether or not to allow the app to run.
Also, if your app is designed to auto launch on boot (or login of a user),
it will get relegated to a "blocked startup programs" icon in the System
Tray and the user will have to right-click on the icon and select your app
and say run and then they will still get the security dialog asking them to
allow the app to run. Better to just address any security issues you become
aware of directly.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini