[OT] Dead Video and no keyboard

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Thu Aug 26 16:38:07 EDT 2010

I do not know if this will help you, but last year I had the following problem:

my 2007 macBook pro refused to boot, no chime, nothing.
I had had read in some mac blogs that my mac was in a series having a defective NVIDIA graphic card.
I brought the MBP to my local Apple dealer for repair; the motherboard was replaced (twice) it is now OK.
My guess is that in the boot process the computer looks for a graphics card to send display orders (even though there is no actual display), and the boot process may stop here if the GPU is dead or incompatible.
So if you absolutely want to keep you G4, it may only need a suitable replacement GPU.

My two cents:
I unterstand you G4 is a tower like machine. Why not buy a mac mini? it is not very expensive, and you may keep your display, keyboard and mouse (maybe with a mini displayport video adapter). The cheapest is 800 euros on the french apple store. Snow leopard handles very nicely OS X PPC codes with the (downloadable) Rosetta. You will have to say bye bye to pre OS X programs, though.

Best regards,
	François