RunRev Specs - Upgrading System

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Aug 25 09:38:02 EDT 2010

Ray,

I don't think Rev is optmized for 64 bits or multiple cores. If the host
system does some optimizations then it will benefit but then again, everyone
will benefit.

I don't know if you're talking about windows, mac or linux on this post but
double check if there is no issue with Windows 64 bits and Rev. Windows
compatibility stuff for running 32 bits stuff under a 64 bits system is not
as good as apples (so they say).

I think the best thing you can have for development is a HUGE OBSCENE AMOUNT
OF RAM.

RAM is king! RAM trumps Gigaherts! RAM trumps CPU! This is subjective, but
I'd rather have a core 2 duo with 8 GB of ram than a i5 with 2 GB of RAM.

Unless you are doing heavy number crunching and video processing will be
more delayed by your system abilities to use memory (paging stuff to disk,
all those silly software allocating 2GB of RAM, yes firefox, I am looking at
you) than by CPU being busy. It is my humble opinion that somewhere after
pentium 3 or near, CPUs got so freaking fast that they usually wait for you
or other subsystems instead of you waiting for them to process something. My
machine is quite fast with its core 2 duo but with only 2GB of RAM, I loose
too much time and performance when running virtualbox and browsers and IDEs
at the same time.

You can never have enough RAM. If you have the money, check out how much
maximum RAM your computer support and top it. You will not be sorry and if
things go all right then you won't even notice anything because things will
run smooth.

Also multiple cores are wonderful, use as many as you can. Rev engine is not
optimized for multicore usage but the rest of your operating system is so
there's a benefit.

Here on my work, one of our servers is a Dual Hexacore beast, so you got 12
cores working, with HT then you got 24 threads available. That is quite fast
with its 48GB of RAM. Of course this is a server and not a desktop machine
but even though the cores are not too fast, having a lot of RAM and 24
threads beats CPU raw power and speed.